Formula One to shorten races, Monaco Grand Prix will only have three days

Photo There will be only three days of race action next year at the Monaco Grand Prix, the president of Formula One race owners said on Thursday. “There will be three-day races in F1…

Formula One to shorten races, Monaco Grand Prix will only have three days

Photo

There will be only three days of race action next year at the Monaco Grand Prix, the president of Formula One race owners said on Thursday.

“There will be three-day races in F1 from 2021 onwards,” Chase Carey told a news conference in Monaco, where the 2019 season starts next week. “My guess is there will be no more than three days of Monaco Grand Prix.”

The race on the Mediterranean island will be left out of the shake-up announced earlier this year.

As well as Monaco, there are races in Britain (July), Germany (July) and Italy (September) this year, along with China and Azerbaijan in the future.

Carey said in June that the long-term future of the Monaco race would be decided in the next 12 months and the Italian race would be moved from September to July.

He said that as well as being the world’s most prestigious race, Monaco had a logistical challenge and that races in Germany and Italy had suffered from the lack of a race in the world’s largest TV market.

The other big challenge had been the government of Monaco’s desire to reduce or cancel their financial contribution to the contest.

Carey noted that the decision to change the dates from June to July had been taken a year ago and that the switch would now also mean four fewer race weekends this year.

Formula One’s other big financial success, at Indianapolis, could also be changed after the Indy 500 on May 26.

Carey said IndyCar owners and owners of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the venue, had reached a new agreement for 25 more races.

The 2019 Grand Prix of Indianapolis is now scheduled for June 10 with the 2023 race currently set for Sept. 1, 2023.

In an agreement announced in April, Indianapolis Motor Speedway and IndyCar announced that they had agreed a five-year extension for the Indy 500, which had been scheduled to run on May 27 next year.

Leave a Comment